The right shade of red can look sexy and glamorous, finding that elusive, perfect shade however, can test even the most calm person’s patience. We have curated our best lipstick hunting tips just for you in an effort to make this process painless…and perhaps even a little fun!
Because you may have to try on a variety of hues, try to spend your time wisely. It’s a good idea to enlist the help of a professional at a department store, who will allow you to try on a variety of shades before you purchase. If you prefer a more budget conscious lipstick, there are many drugstores which will refund your makeup purchase in full, for any reason – just remember to keep your receipt.
When beginning the process of finding the correct hue, you should note that red lipsticks run from warm (generally containing a bit of orange) to cool (containing a small amount of blue or red). Depending on your skin tone, a warm red might look great on you, while a cool makes you look washed out and ill. Many people however, can pull off both looks for a flattering style that can change with your mood. Just because a general rule states that you have to wear a certain shade with your skin tone, step outside your boundaries and try out different colors – you may be surprised.
General Skin Tone Tips
- Generally, cool reds tend to look best on women with fair skin tones. These lipsticks ad bright dash of color, without overpowering your other features
- Medium skin, or skin with golden undertones, have the luck of the draw. True-red lipstick can look superbly stylish, while even lighter pink shades will add a touch of innocence and mystery.
- Dark skinned ladies will generally look best in a deep, rich red that compliments their skin tone. Coral reds containing oranges can appear too harsh.
Confused about what skin tone you have? Here’s an easy trick to help you out. Flip over your wrist and take a look at your veins. If your veins appear blue, you have a cool skin tone. If your veins have a greenish tint, you have a medium to warm skin tone.
- Once you find the perfect red, here are some final tips to ensure your lips make a statement.
- Go easy on the gloss: Red draws enough attention to itself, and gloss can just make your lips look like a goopy mess.
- If you have old reds that don’t flatter your skin tone, consider darkening it with a bit of brown or wine-colored lipstick.
- Keep the rest of your makeup minimal when wearing red. Eye shadow should be soft, neutral or completely bare.
- It helps to exfoliate your lips regularly, and right before you apply lipstick. This will ensure your lipstick goes on smooth and looks great.
- Applying with a brush will give you more precision, and less chance that the color will seep into the lines of your lips.
You should now have all the facts needed to find your perfect shade of red at your nearest makeup counter. Red lips tend to make the wearer feel more confident and alluring, so go grab a tube and have a great time!